Comments ranged from "That's not realistic" to "I feed a family of four for that much month."
Grocery costs and consume 20% or more of the monthly budget for a military family. Here are a few thoughts regarding managing these costs:
- Shop at the commisary! According to the DECA website a family of four can save almost $3000 a year simply by shopping at their local commissary. (Based on average savings of 32% over retail.)
- Plan your menu and make a shopping list. The DECA website even had a page that helps you customize your list to the items available in your local store.
- Don't go shopping while you're hungry.
- Only use coupons on items that you would purchase even if you didn't have one.
- Prices change frequently. For items that you purchase occasionally like laundry detergent or soap, look for price dips and stock up (within reason of course.)