What's the point to building net worth if there isn't a destination in mind. What do we really want to have, to do, and to be when we grow up?
My wife and I have been talking about it lately, and started dreaming of what our lives might be like after our military adventure comes to a close.
So, in no particular order, here is what we're thinking about.
1. We don't want to worry about depending on a job to pay the rent, keep the lights on, or put food on the table.
2. We want our children to get a good education, but we also want them to feel some responsibility for paying for it.
3. We want continued access to world-class health care. As a future military retiree, we are very happy to know that our health care needs will be taken of at a reasonable cost.
4. We would like to live near our children, or have the means to travel to see them often.
5. We only want to work in positions that are interesting, challenging, and provide adequate amounts of leisure time away from the office.
6. We would like to live in our own home for as long as possible.
7. We want to leave our children a legacy that extends beyond money and possessions, but also includes integrity, honor, patriotism, and self respect.