YMM Reading List

Saturday, April 18, 2009

Southern California Living

In my previous post, I suggested a living budget of $80/day or $160/day for a couple. Military.com had listed Oceanside, CA, near Camp Pendleton, as among the top five cities for military families, so I started my search there. My budget was a monthly mortgage payment of about $1200 with a $70K down payment and annual property taxes of about $6,500 (remember, it's California!)

Here's what I found. It's a 3 bedroom, 2 bath home built in 2005 and is located just outside Oceanside in the city of Temecula. Temecula has been hammered by the financial downturn, and has lots of real-estate-owned and other foreclosure homes available right now. This house is has more than 1850 square feet of space, and is in a highly rated school district. The mortgage payment would be just a few dollars over $1200.

If you insisted on staying in Oceanside, you could live here. This older home has 4 bedrooms, 2 baths, and has more than 1750 square feet of living space. The price tag is less than $200,000 or a payment of about $1,260 per month. This amounts to about $42/day leaving you $118/day to live life the way you want to live it. I say buy a sailboat and tie it up at Camp Pendleton's marina.

No comments: