Our VA award letter was dated Nov 18, a full 6 1/2 months after I submitted my application for benefits.
Tuition and Fees:
- The school submitted information to the VA that verified that my son enrolled in the university from Aug 20 through Dec 20, with a full-time course load and total tuition of $14,778.50 and fees of $1,430.25.
- "The in-state maximum fees per term for your state (CA) is $287.00. Since we are entitled to receive 100% of the amounts payable under the program, you may be paid up to $2,165.25 for fees each term or 100% of the actual fees charged, whichever is less. Your school certified that you were charged $1,430.25 for 15 credit hours.
- "We issued a tuition and fees payment to your school on your behalf in the amount of $5,735.25."
- "The monthly housing allowance payable under the Post-9/11 GI Bill for your school's zip code is $1,930 (Berkeley, CA). Since you are eligible at the 100% rate, you will receive $1,930 a month for each full month of training during the certified enrollment payment."
- "The maximum amount payable for books and supplies is $1,000 each year. Since you are entitlesd to receive 100% of the amount payable under the Post-9/11 GI Bill, you may be paid up to $1,000 each year for books and supplies. VA pays a portion of the books and supplies stipend for each credit hour pursued during the year up to 24 credit hours. Your school certified that you are enrolled in 15 credit hours. We sent you a payment of $625.05 for books and supplies."
So, to summarize our benefit:
- October 13, we receive $3,000
- Nov 30, we receive two payments, totaling $7,122.72
- The university received a direct payment of 5,735,25
All together, it was a slow process, but an incredible benefit to our military family.