YMM Reading List

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Tax Help For Military Families

I just finished our taxes and filed electronically using Taxslayer.com. I've used Taxslayer since 2004 and haven't paid a cent to use their outstanding service. The web site gets better every year. The instructions are easy to understand, and having the ability to use the prior year's information where applicable saved me about 30 minutes this year.

Taxslayer has always been free to military families. It's a great service, and I encourage you to give them a try. This year they helped me with the forms needed to claim the exemption from taxes when I sold savings bonds to pay for college expenses. The program knew that I had entered information about these costs from the other forms I had completed, and in just a few additional clicks all the necessary forms were filled out. This included all the reports about our rental home too, including depreciation and expenses.

After finishing the federal form, Taxslayer asked me if I wanted to complete my state return. I said yes, it asked me 5 questions, and my California return was done ($0 charge, $0 tax since I've been stationed outside of my home state for the entire year.)

Last year I received my refund in about a week. I'll let you know when I get mine this year.

If you're struggling with tax forms and you're currently on active duty, log in and give Taxslayer a try. I know you'll be glad you did.

No comments: